by: Ernie Pallares, Saturday Savants President
I could count the beads of sweat building on my forehead as I frantically punched in the security code to our building over and over again. It was all I could do to to stave off the possibility of a pesky security alarm howling at law enforcement that a fumbling Toastmaster (yours truly) was just trying to get in the door to begin Saturday’s meeting!
I know, I know… why would anyone entrust the Prez with this cerebral task of monumental proportions?
Well our usual and more competent team of Leo and Irina normally would do this without a hitch, but alas, they were seated on a plane soaking up rays of sunshine in their mind – heading into vacation bliss.
But wait. Yes! 3rd time is the charm.
As I setup some of the chairs and opened the door to the front, I was greeted by a guest that day – Rafiaa. Right away she offered to help setup just before show time.
Once things got under way, we realized that quite a few of our crew were away (also on vacation – geez).
The show must go on! After all, the word of the day is Valiant (remember this), our theme - Armed Forces Day and our Toastmaster - Judy Toneck.
That’s all a Toastmaster needs to make something happen…
Remember the guest I mentioned earlier? It turns out she was a Toastmaster in a previous lifetime. She volunteered to speak and give her ice breaker. Talk about embodying being valiant. When she did this, I quickly realized that using the word of the day now takes on a whole new meaning. Here she was living it. As Howie mentioned in his evaluation. It’s one thing to speak in front of group of people that you know. It’s completely another to do it in front of strangers. She is extremely creative as she likes to write, read, and create poetry. And as of that day is a public speaker again!
Former President Aaron Friedman showed up ready to play as he presented “4 steps to overcoming nervousness”. He showed great theatrics in the beginning by pretending he was nervous. Excellent voice projection. Way to go Aaron. Great to have you back.
Just a sample of what our members and guest took on …Welcome to
Table Topics Yoga
1. As the shaman for an indigenous tribe in Peru consisting of 250 people. Your eco-habitat has been disrupted by urban sprawl and pretty soon your civilization will be left with no home. What do you as the wise spiritual leader?
2. You are the newly appointed “Ambassador for Peace”. A position created by the white house foreign relations committee. As such, you are to deliver your idea to promote world peace at tomorrow’s UN conference. What will you outline to promote world peace?
3. You are the new mayor of Temecula. The slogan for your city is “Old Traditions. New Opportunities.” Please explain how you plan to maintain the two under your new role?
4. Describe the best advice you ever received and give an example of how that has helped you.
5. You’ve had a successful career as a city planner. On your last day, you are interviewed and asked, what the city of tomorrow looks like? What is your answer?
6. You are the future President of Saturday Savants. How do you go about creating a vision for the club and grow its membership successfully?
Anytime I’m in the presence of those that don’t shy away from deep questions such as these, but rather take them on in the spirit of Toastmasters AND as Leaders in life, I remember that I am truly blessed. Thank you all for participating.
If you or someone you know is still “sitting on the fence” about where to invest your time to raise your personal growth…then come on home this Saturday.
We welcome you here whether you’re a guest or are simply returning.